Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Senior sentiment

Well, folks. Tonight it hit.

'It' refers to the thing I've been ignoring for the past few weeks - the realization that my time at Trin (check out why I love this place here) has come to a close.

Aside from the fact that I'm graduating (clarification: graduating, not walking in a ceremony...that's in May) in three days, I was recently internally provoked to think about why I love this place. Context: last Thursday, someone in one of my classes said they would never have anything positive to say about Trinity. I quickly returned my classmates pessimism with "Why do you hate Trinity, and why are you here if you do?" He gave a response that lacked any considerable validation (seriously, people, every school costs money), and what followed was 80 minutes of me not paying attention in my political science class and reflecting on the past three and a half years instead.

Behold, my bloggable (yep, made that up) list of what makes Trinity great:

[1] The people I've met - and come to love. This recipe of relationships consists of 1 part professors, 3 parts friends (the best ones, at that), and 4 parts E (seriously, this kid is voluntarily putting up with me for the rest of his life - God bless him). Trinity's wonderful gift of people became super real to me tonight when I had to say 'goodbye' to one of my best friends (check her out here). I walked up to her after some wonderful P&W, and before I knew it, we were sobbing in each other's embrace, relishing in the wonderful times we've had as friends, and acknowledging that for an unknown amount of time, we'll have to be friends from a distance. By far the most difficult part of my final week on campus thus far, and I know it's only going to get worse. Greeeeat.

[2] The things I've done - and gotten to be a part of. I feel bad for people that don't get themselves involved in something at college. My first, most important suggestion for any person I meet looking to make lasting friends during their college years is to get involved, and get involved quick. Every college affords students different opportunities, and you're a fool if you don't take advantage of that. I don't even feel bad saying that, because...

[3] How strong I've become. I've lived a wonderful life in three and a half years, but let's not be fooled, peeps - crap happens. Some of that crap was doable, like stressful semesters, ridiculous projects, and some of it was not so much, like getting homesick, or being far away during familial pain. But being 22 and saying that, for the past four years, I've learned to provide and stand for myself is certainly an accomplishment in my someday book. College joys and woes will do that to ya, I promise.

[4] The fact that leaving campus for good on Friday makes me cry. Although it really, really sucks, I have to be thankful that I'm sad to leave this place. A paradox, you might say? Not so much. It's the things we love, and I mean truly love, in life that are hardest to let go. I truly love this place, I'm going to miss it, and tears will be shed when I hug my roommates and other friends goodbye, even though I'll see them all in less than four weeks for the big day. Some people fear transformation and change, especially during their collegiate career. Embrace it; you'll only appreciate it for every penny you've spent later on.

I have more and want to keep writing, but obnoxiously-this-is-so-boring-and-long-reading-assignment-esque blog postings annoy me. So for now, I leave you with four that popped into my head.

Have something you love about college and want to share? Comment! I promise I'll comment back.

Today's lesson: love life, where it takes you, and what it brings you, because doing anything else is stupid.

3 comments:

  1. I love this. I love reflective posts...they'll getchya :)

    I am thankful for that stupid newspaper we work for!! I honestly love it! And you were a HUGE part of that for me this year. I am really glad I got to know you through an unexpected way. And i'm going to stop writing as though I'm at your yearbook signing because I WILL be seeing you again. This isn't high school, thank the Lord.

    And I am also thankful for the fact I will miss this place too (one semester later than you). While there are imperfections, it is great. I love it so much.

    Thanks for posting and letting me nostalgic :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ashley - just for being so great. Trinity should post some of this on their website for marketing! ;)

    This place wouldn't be the same without you - the Courier, Student Activities, the COMM department, and so much more. Your presence is definitely going to be missed next semester. I only wish you could stay one more until I'm done. :) But God has such great things in store for you. I'm just so thankful for 2 1/2 years of being your friend at college, with many more years of friendship to come :) And hopefully we live by you guys someday :) i love you dear. p.s. thanks for the shout out also:) The embrace was wonderful and terrible all at the same time. [tear]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna and Karlie, you guys both mean a lot to me, and whatever capacity my friendship with each of you spans, I'm extremely thankful for it. You guys are great, and I really am going to miss you both.

    ReplyDelete